A Study of the Lord's Prayer
Session 2: Whose Will Will Be Done?
Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
All materials in these studies that are not otherwise attributed
are © 1999 by Mark Vitalis Hoffman. Expressed permission is hereby granted to download
and print these materials for personal use only. If you wish to use any of these materials
for a group or other purposes, please contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org)
for permissions. In all cases, include my copyright notice and email address with any
versions of the material. Thank you.
- If you were a king or queen, what would be your first decree?
- Would you rather be known as strong-willed or easy-going?
- In order to get my way when I was a child, I sometimes would...
not be afraid, little flock,
for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
For Your Information:
- "Let your kingdom come"
What is the "kingdom of God"? Read the following passages and record one thing
we learn about the kingdom from each of them.
1 Corinthians 4.20
1 Corinthians 15.50
When does the kingdom of God come? Describe what each of the following passages indicate.
- Read Luther's explanations to the 2nd Petition of the Lord's
- "Let your will happen"
What is the will of God? Describe what each of these passages indicates about Gods
1 Timothy 2.3-4
- Read Matthew 26.39-42. What model does Jesus provide for contrasting a persons
will with Gods will?
- "Heaven and earth": In one way, this combination simply denotes the totality
of the universe. (See Matthew 5.18; 11.25; 24.35; etc.) In another way, however, there is
also the indication that what happens in heaven is what is more true or real or ultimate.
(See Matthew 16.19; John 3.31; Hebrews 12.25.)
- Read Luther's explanations to the 3rd Petition of the Lord's
Strive first for the kingdom
of God and his righteousness,
and all these things will be given to you as well.
For Your Consideration:
- When we pray for Gods kingdom to come, is there anything we are doing to make it
come more quickly? Or are we simply praying that God should make it come?
- When you think about the "kingdom of God," do you think about a place or a
state of being?
- How can the kingdom of God be both someone that is among us now and yet is also
something in the future whose fullness we still only anticipate?
- If the kingdom of God came to you today, how would you know?
- How are Gods kingdom and Gods will different from earthly kingdoms and human
- Isnt Gods will always done? Whats the point of praying that it should
- If someone is sick, for example, is it right to pray for their healing or should you
simply pray that Gods will be done?
- How can you know what is Gods will for your life?
- Have you ever been able to tell when your life has not been ordered according to
Gods will? What did it take to get you back on track?
- What are some specific things you have done that you are certain were according to
- What are some specific things you will plan to do that you are certain are according to
The kingdom of the world has
become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Messiah, and he will reign forever and ever.
Where have you heard this verse
- As you read the newspaper or watch the TV news, reflect on the difference between the
kingdoms of this world and the kingdom of God.
- Pray the Lords Prayer when you first awake, sometime during the day, and just
before you go to sleep.
- Parents: teach the Lords Prayer to your children. Godparents: remember that you
promised to teach the Lords Prayer to your godchild when s/he was baptized.